Tuesday, 5 April 2022

Hāpara Champion Trainer - Final Reflection

 Kia ora e hoa, 

After a long run, I have finally finished the third and final Hāpara Champion course. I have really enjoyed these online learning experiences over the last year and feel like I have grown as a teacher as well as a digital colleague. I enjoyed each course more than the last, and cementing the connections between concepts and ideas. I hope this is not the end of my online learning experience, or my time with Hāpara. 

If you've been following me and supporting me on this journey, thank you! My reflection answers comment on the most recent course I completed, Hāpara Champion Trainer as well as my overall experiences with the other Champion courses. 

Did you struggle?

I struggled with completing my final video as I became sick with Covid19. This was really disappointing for me as I was set and ready to record but my sickness really knocked me off my feet. I was kindly offered an extension, but feel as if my final video may not be what it could have been had I been able to complete the assignment and record with everything fresh in my mind and in the ‘groove’ of making the video. 

Did you find your groove?

I did eventually as I worked on the final product. While it was not as in depth as I had wanted it to be in my plan (I didn’t figure out the zooming in bits, and I did record using the same app) I found I was able to better utilise PowToon from the first time and was able to improve on some of the things I didn’t want to do the second time around. I feel confident with my final product and more skilled at creating educational videos. 

What did you love about it?

I love how it matches my first video nicely as a pair. The first video goes into detail about Focus sessions, the second video I could zoom through that and show how to take it to the next step, setting up for when you are away from the classroom and scheduling for later. I also showed how to set up a Filter session. 

What do you wish you had more time to work on?

I wish I had been feeling well enough to try some more editing techniques like the zooming in etc. I wanted to work smarter, not harder and thought it would be more useful to refine the skills and feedback I got rather than learning a new skill at this time. I tried to focus on lowering the music and speaking louder, as Lindy said this would improve my video. I also recorded the video content in a way that allowed me to talk as I navigated the Dashboard rather than trying to re-record and sync up the video and audio. I also noticed that it meant I didn’t get the ‘screen record’ button in the video that bothered me so much! 

What did you learn from your peers' videos?

I think I have been completing the course alone! I haven’t been able to find any peer work that was being completed in my same timeframe, but I enjoyed watching the videos from past participants. I made notes of the ones I watched the first time, and I enjoyed re-watching those same teachers on video 2 to see how they improved and became more confident with their video skills. 


Champion Trainer course:

What did you enjoy most about the Champion Trainer course?

I enjoyed learning about teaching adult learners. I never really thought about the pedagogy and way we should be addressing learning for adults. I found the research task where we had to find sources to read and use them to create our own Philosophy. I took what I learned from that task and put it towards creating my Workspace which is now a usable tool for teachers at my school. 

What did you enjoy least about the Champion Trainer course?

Probably the second video, just because I am such a planner and felt discouraged when other things came up. I think the videos pushed me outside my comfort zone so I was already feeling a bit nervous for the final project and was disappointed that I wasn’t able to apply all my feedback and make the video I had planned for. 

What suggestions do you have to improve the course for future cadres?

Nothing, I really enjoyed everything and thought it was structured well. I wish I had some peers who were participating at the same time as me! 

What were you surprised to learn from the course that you weren't expecting?

I was surprised by how much knowledge I have about teaching/training adults I already had and felt very validated when completing the research and readings. I was able to add some new tips and tricks to my proverbial ‘toolkit’ which I will take with me as I facilitate PD sessions to my colleagues. 

Is there anything that you would have liked to learn from the course that you didn't?

Nothing that I can think of! I wonder what the opportunities are now that I have this qualification? Would there be an opportunity in the future to be a course facilitator? 

Hāpara Champion courses:

What did you enjoy most about the series of Hāpara Champion courses?

I enjoyed how each one built on the knowledge we had already learned. I felt more engaged and enthusiastic about each level. I wish there were more! I found all my facilitators super helpful and all gave me great feedback and support when I needed it. It never felt like an additional ‘burden’ to complete the work or tasks and we are certainly given sufficient time to work through on our own pace. 

What did you enjoy least about the series of Hāpara Champion courses?

Probably some of the basics in the Champion Educator course. While I did learn a lot, some of the basics were repetitive for me and towards the end of the course I found I was fast forwarding through the videos to just the new parts. I understand why so much support is given and I have had colleagues who enjoyed that step by step when they completed the course. 

What suggestions do you have to improve the Hāpara Champion program for future cadres?

I would love to see more courses offered! I am unsure what you could be offering, as I think we covered so much! But I so enjoyed the style of learning and using a tool which supports my teaching and learning. 

What were you surprised to learn from the Hāpara Champion program that you weren't expecting?

I was surprised that I was so enthusiastic to continue. When I first signed up for Champion Education I had looked ahead at the other two and they seemed ‘too advanced’ or ‘not suitable’ for me and my role, however, by completing each level I gained my confidence and couldn’t wait to register for the next one. It’s one of the first truly online courses I’ve taken since my undergraduate degree and I was worried I would not be motivated to continue after not completing a course like this in so long, but now I am looking at Coursera, Skillshare and other online courses I can complete now that I am finished with the Hāpara program. 

Is there anything that you would have liked to learn from the Hāpara Champion program that you didn't?

I learned heaps more than I expected! 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please make your comment positive, thoughtful and helpful!