I love learning. I've found over the last two years a drive and hunger for absorbing more. I've been a lifelong lover of books, so reading teaching-related books and literature is a regular. In 2020 I challenged myself an took a leap out of my comfort zone into Te Ahu o Te Reo, a Māori Reo and Tikanga course. Due to lockdowns this swiftly moved to online 'zui' - or online hui! While meeting up via Zoom was not my preferred method of contact, it certainly set me up for the numerous Google Meets I then hosted for my own ākonga.
Since then I have undertaken a few other online ventures:
I've completed 3 levels of Hāpara training courses which have hugely benefitted my day-to-day teaching using the Hāpara Suite. I received great feedback and top marks for all 3 courses and was invited to be a facilitator in the future! The 3 levels of courses are:
- Hāpara Champion Educator
- Hāpara Champion Scholar
- Hāpara Champion Trainer
I highly recommend the first two if you are a teaching frequently using the Hāpara Suite.
I have recently registered for a 'taster' level course from The Mind Lab. This is a two week course to see what the learning and content is like prior to committing to the extensive, paid course. I have chosen a course in Sustainability as I feel this is an area I need to know more about. I feel quite naive about the topic, as well as it will challenge me to learn about a topic that I haven't explored before. This is a quick learning opportunity and I will share a blog post with my notes and thoughts after completing it.
I also really want to complete the Google Education courses. I started Level 1 in 2021 but New Zealand ended up in a nationwide lock down again and I found the course a bit daunting amid the screen time I was already doing for online learning, Google Meets and being available via email for my students and families. I would like to revisit the Google courses this summer and my goal is to complete Level 1 and Level 2.
Moving beyond online learning, I have challenged myself to go back to my studies with Te Ahu o Te Reo and work through Taumata 3, which is the level 3 course. Having not done extensive reo Māori lessons in 2 years, I am very nervous about this. We were always told 'if you don't use it, you lose it!' While I do think I have gained confidence to use it, I know I am certainly capable of doing more than I am with my learners. This will be an in person meeting after school each week for 2 hours. I think face to face is how I learn best, especially around a language or cultural practice. Prior to committing I do need to check that I am available on the date selected and am not committed to any prior meetings at my kura.
Lastly, my biggest goal for 2023 is to start my Masters of Educational Leadership through the University of Auckland | Auckland Online. This has been on the horizon for over a year, however, I needed to obtain my residency (and the course funds!) first. I am still saving to be able to register and achieve this goal, but hope I will be able to join the July '23 intake. This is a 2 year online Masters degree which I know will help my future career aspirations within education. I already have experience as a 'middle leader' having spent 3 years working to develop our junior Year 7-8 curriculum and working with the Year 9 team as well. I think the Master's degree will give me more of a platform to stand on with my ideas and expertise.
I hope you will follow along as I work on these endeavours! Do you have a great professional learning opportunity or course you'd recommend? Let me know!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please make your comment positive, thoughtful and helpful!