Monday, 28 February 2022

Hāpara Champion Trainer - Teaching Tech to Adults

 Tēnā koe, 

I am currently completing the third Hāpara Champion course called Hāpara Champion Trainer. This course has allowed me to explore ways in which I could facilitate PLD to other adults; whether teachers or not! I have really enjoyed working through these modules as over the last 4 years I have had many situations where I have presented to my own school staff or beyond. I have found the course material helpful to refine my techniques in teaching to other adults. 

In particular, this activity which asked me to define my Teaching Tech to Adults Philosophy as well as include a plan for a 'master lesson' really had me apply the knowledge I had gained in a useful setting. I made sure that my plan and pedagogy aligned with how my school utilises "Learn, Create, Share" which is part of the Manaiakalani pedagogy. 

Please find my work below; I chose to use slides as this is a quick and easy way to present. I found the templates on SlidesGo, which is a great tool to use to make your slides POP in a quick and efficient way. 


My Facilitator Plan is linked on the final slide, however, I have expanded it here as well. 


  • Topic: Using Hāpara Workspace in Your Wānanga Classroom 

  • Who Will Attend: Year 7-9 Wānanga Advisors at HHS (New Zealand high school)

  • When: Start of Term, 1 hour staff development meeting

  • Why: To collaborate and share ideas of what might work within your classroom to facilitate independent learners, this is an example of what has worked for me

  • Additional Info: All teachers have access to Hāpara Workspace and should have some basic knowledge as our e-learning leaders have spent time working through this with us. Some teachers have taken the Hāpara Champion Educator course so should have a basic understanding of Workspace. I would always provide the presentation in the format of GoogleSlides for those who may be absent, or want to review the material. I would create these ahead of time with basic points of the lesson and share prior to the meeting. 

Topic/Section

Learning Goals for this topic/section

Step by step facilitators notes

Approx Time

Introduction/ice breaker

For staff who are new to school to get to know their colleagues, and reconnect over the holidays

Go around the room and introduce your name, kāhui building (classroom), and something you are excited for this year (personal or professional)

5 minutes

How do you use Hāpara? 


LEARN - AKO of Manaiakalani pedagogy

To allow the facilitator to gain an understanding of the prior knowledge/skill set in regards to Hāpara prior to launching in 

Teachers will have a chance to think about their current Hāpara use within the classroom. They can talk to a peer or small group in a discussion and then one person will share back the general feelings/knowledge of the group. 

This allows for collaboration, and will help those who may not know much about Hāpara not feel singled out by having 1 person summarise the overall feelings of the group, rather than going around the room one by one. 

  • You might also include a chance for them to include 1 thing they are wondering about/want to know by the end of the session

  • If applicable, participants could also anonymously write on sticky notes to collect on the board, and the facilitator can read these out, or use a tool like Padlet to collect answers to get the same effect 

10 minutes

Purpose of today’s session - Hāpara Workspace in Wānanga class

To introduce the learning intention: to gain an understanding of how you could use Hāpara Workspace in your Wānanga class to promote independent learners

This will state a clear learning intention/overview for the session, give examples of how this will be immediately relevant for the participants (to use in their Wānanga class to facilitate the weekly routine learning we do), and for me to show an example of a Workspace I have created to support my Wānanga learners and explain what worked well, and what I would change for next time. 


I would start this off by showing the Hāpara video about what a Workspace is so they can see evidence of this great platform, before hearing my opinions and seeing my example. 


This is the example of my 2021 Workspace I would include the link on my Slides as well as Chromecast and walk staff through how I created it, what I chose to include as well as how the students interacted. This applies to all staff, those who have never used Workspace as they can see how a completed one will look and how it is used, as well as to staff who do know about Workspace so they can see my version and hear how it worked for me and my students.


I would explain the different routine activities I included (some which all teachers do and some which are unique to my class) and this could inspire participants to add something to their routine, or share to the group other activities they do that might fit well into our weekly routines

10 minutes 

‘Playing in the Sandpit’


CREATE - WAIHANGA of Manaiakalani Pedagogy

Allowing staff to self-select what they want to learn more about. I would offer a ‘beginners’ and an ‘experts’ activity to try to cater to all levels, and allow participants to experience Workspace more

Beginners: work with me where I would walk them through creating a new Workspace using this video. This would not be an in depth training on how to make a ‘rockstar workspace’ but simply how to start one, and what you may or may not include in each column. Here I would plug the opportunity for some 1:1 help with myself and/or our e-learning team to build their Workspace, as well as promote the Hāpara courses as a great way to learn more in depth. I could also offer them the ability to make a copy of the Workspace I created which I have made ‘pretty’ with coloured cards, headers etc. so they don’t have to worry about that they could simply change the activities which don’t apply to them and just re-share with their class. 


Experts: this group will be those teachers who are confident in Workspace as they already use it or they have taken the training courses. This group would work together and share ideas of what works well in their Workspaces, or have the time to begin to create one for their Wānanga class and routines. By allowing this group to break off, it means they don’t need to listen to me reiterate the basics they already know, and can use their time more valuably applying the knowledge they already have to this new context. 


I can also use this time to rove around and check in with groups if needed.

25-30 minutes 

SHARE - TOHATOHA of Manaiakalani Pedagogy

Sharing back to the group what you have worked on/taken away from the ‘sandpit’ time.

Depending how long participants need to play around with Workspace, the sharing part is flexible. I would allow those who want to share back to talk about what they did during the ‘sandpit’ time. They might share the Workspace they have begun to create with others, they might share back great ideas they have for a Workspace once they have time to create one. I would also pose the question: “how do you see this being helpful to your Wānanga students” and get some ideas of where teachers think this can be implemented to benefit their learners and their ability to self-manage their learning online.

  • We could also reflect back on the prior knowledge from the start of the session, particularly if written on stickies or padlet and see if we can add ‘what I know now’ after the session, have we answered some of the questions of what participants wanted to gain from the session? Have I sparked an interest, or desire to use this tool with students for fun, engaging online lessons? 

5-10 minutes 

Questions/
Feedback

Allow participants to ask any questions about the material, and/or give feedback about the presentation

Allow for a Google Form that way it can be completed immediately or those who need to leave can fill in on their own time. A simple form with a space for questions as well as some basic questions for feedback ex) was this presentation useful, score 1-5, do you think you would implement a workspace in your class, score 1-5, are you interested in completing further Hāpara training, yes or no? I would also provide the link and information about the different Hāpara Champion courses as a way of upskilling to support this lesson

5 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please make your comment positive, thoughtful and helpful!