Tuesday, 13 March 2018

Sharing My Name

Students have been researching the meanings of their name and will be sharing their findings from conversations with their families and online searching tomorrow in Kete time.

I wanted to share the meaning of my name:
My first name is Chelsea and the story is that my parents wanted to name me Allison Catherine, but after much deliberation felt that the nickname 'Ally Cat' would surely stick, and by the time I was a teenager, I would probably be sick of it. My mother didn't want a name which was too common, or which could be shortened into something silly.

My father had heard the name 'Chelsea' in the movie On Golden Pond (which to my embarrassment, I still have not seen!) and he thought it sounded nice, he also liked the character in the movie... so Chelsea it was.

I did a quick internet search of the meaning of 'Chelsea' and found it is more than just the famous football team in England. Chelsea is of Old English origin and is a landing place or port for large ships.

Have you ever researched where your name comes from? Check out our students' blogs on the right sidebar to read more about the origins of their names!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please make your comment positive, thoughtful and helpful!